Lands of Algia 5E

Sixth Session

This session had a very late start and we were missing two players. The party decided to practice their combat skills in a cathartic release after a rough week for everyone.

2 Giant Spiders and 10 big spiders were quickly, and with a bunch of laughs, dispatched by the Gnomish rogue, the Halfelven Sorcerer, the Halfelven Druid, the Dragonborn Paladin, and the Human Bard.

Fifth Session

The party started off with gathering their loot from Silverfang’s hoard and heading back out through the portal to the docks of Vestia. Finding it was the beginning of the day they made a few quick stops gathering a few extra items, notably tobacco for the dwarf, and decided to skip finding a wagon and headed right out towards Midian, and the reported undead problem.

The first day was uneventful and the evening’s shifts were fairly routine. During the morning of their second day on the road, they encountered a dark skinned man who wore a grey robe with a bright yellow sash. They found him sitting on the ground facing 5 zombies that were heading towards him. The dwarf started to get ready for battle but the man raised his hand with a single finger raised as if to tell the group to wait. The party’s druid asked a question, and the man remained sitting and again waved them off. The party stopped interrupting and watched what the man was doing. As the zombies approached, the raised the sleeve of the other arm, his left, and slammed his bare arm into the ground. The ground seemed to swallow his arm to the elbow and the earth behind the zombies erupted with giant sized hands that grabbed each one of the zombies, crushing them, and dragging them back into the earth.

The man introduced himself as Cristobal of the Yellow, a member of the Order of the Yellow – a group of powerful healer monks that came into prominence during the Culuz Wars. He told the group that he had dispatched a number of zombies and skeletons that he had found wandering around the countryside all seeming to be looking for something. After the short conversation, he told the group that he needed to head back to his monastery and teleported away as the group watched.

Earwiggle, the gnomish rogue, checked out the site that the zombies had gotten pulled into and did not find any mirrors or other means of trickery.

The rest of the day and night proceeded without incident again.

During their fourth day on the road, in the middle afternoon, they happened upon a large owlbear fighting off a larger group of zombies.

The group decided to stay back and see what happened between the monsters fighting themselves and when the owlbear started to get overwhelmed by the numbers of undead, the druid made an argument to aid the beast. They party took action and quickly killed off the zombies even while they were able to pummel the owlbear a few more times. The party was able to use a spell to put the owlbear to sleep in its weakened state and while it slept, healed it back up and quickly beat a hasty retreat not wanting to face a healthy and fully rested owlbear.

The evening was once again quiet as the group had now reached the flat lands of the Great Plateau. During the next day, as the group continued towards Midian, a sinkhole appeared and dropped the dragonborne paladin and the dwarven cleric into a crypt. Seeing potential adventure, the gnomish rogue quickly darted down into the hole.

The three party members found a number of sarcophagi and a pedestal in the middle with a glowing emerald in the shape of a rose bud just beginning to open. From the emerald came a light green mist that upon further inspection showed heavy necromantic power. The dwarf quickly used a strong light spell that illuminated the room much better and found eleven different sarcophagi. Upon closer inspection of the closest three coffins, the inscriptions all stated these were Knights of Cathos. The group spent the next 15 to 20 minutes looking around the outskirts of the room, including the sorcerer who was wearing slippers of spider climbing, walking on the ceiling to the edge of the room. They found that the mist was rolling over the Knight’s caskets but was seeping into the walls and obviously the ground around them.

The party decided to start focusing on the gem stone. The dwarven cleric put on his vestments of Cathos and began praying which caused the gem to pulse with greater intensity. Noticing this, he began praying harder and louder as the group discovered markings around the gem that made they think it was a device dedicated to Nerilous, a Chaotic Evil Primogen. The rogue moved in and began to examine the gem closely which triggered it give off a final pulse and all the mists that were in the room were quickly sucked back into the gemstone. The covers on all the sarcophagi began to move.

The group had a collective “Oh Shit” moment.

The rogue tried to stab the gem to no effect. The lids now had all been moved far enough off that giant skeletons in full armor started rising out. The dragonborne reacting quickly blasted the gem with his frost breath and then with both hands slammed his battle axe down upon the crystal causing it to crack. As it cracked, all the undead fell back into their graves as if the strings had been cut from the puppet strings and the rose shaped emerald lost it’s color and magic and now looked to be a simple quartz decoration.

The party decided then to throw the broken rose into their bag of holding and quickly continue to Midian.

Fourth Session

Amy Beth’s and Edna’s PCs met with the Lord Grey as Daniel and David’s kept an eye on the door and Matt and Kelsey watched over the tavern. Lord Grey wanted to know what happened with the recon and Amy Beth was sweet and to the point whilst Edna’s PC decided to take it up a notch and start questioning the Lord. Unfortunately, that drew his attention and he began questioning her and she managed to deflect and even turn around a few of the inquisitions. After Lord Grey left the bar, and a high number of slightly suspect strong-arms covered his tracks, the rest of the patrons took a collective sigh. There was a solitary chuckle and applause and a strange human like figure with silver eyes and long silver hair waved the ladies over to his table. He informed them that he did quite enjoy seeing a Lord Grey get put off and he would like to see if the group was interested in some business, seemingly to know that there were others of the party at the tavern.

The group gathered and had a drink with the silver haired human, and an elf that was with him. He told the party how pleased he was to see that Lord Grey get put off and for once not get his way. He introduced himself to the group as Silverfang, after saying that they would not be able to pronounce his true name. He also let them know he thought he was familiar with that particular Lord Grey, as he has seen the mask before, and they should all leave the tavern and head back to his business location. He group took a moment to discuss and then came to the decision to follow Silverfang and the elf, Pae, to their place.

Silverfang lead them down to a warehouse in the dock district of Vestia. Upon entering he asked the group if they were ready for an adventure. With that question he turned and asked Pae to pull down a lever next to one of many empty door frames within the warehouse. The group all looked to Matt’s dragonborn to see if he could get a read on Silverfang, and if they could trust him. The Paladin took a moment and used his divine insight and nodded to the group that he was relatively certain that Silverfang was at least safe for now. The paladin still could not quite get that uneasy feeling off his mind whilst being around Silverfang.

As Pae pulled the lever Silverfang mentioned that Algia did not have many doors like this one. The empty doorway lit up with a glimmering ring that pooled in the center, creating one of the legendary portals. Silverfang and then Pae walked through the portal. The group looked at each other and then, one by one went through the portal as well. As each entered it, they felt a splash of coldness and a sensation of movement and then appeared in a cavern, deep under the surface.

It was noticeably colder here and Silverfang pointed to a number of fur coats of various sizes by the portal, which closed as the last party member arrived. Obviously he was prepared for people to come to this cavern who were unready for the cold.

He smiled to the group and said, “I love this place, it gives me a chance to stretch out”. As the word Out was said, his form was already shifting into that of a large adult Silver dragon. Matt’s dragonborn smiled as the pieces finally fell into place from what he was sensing.
For the next hour or so, the dragon spoke to the group about taking a stand against what had started to tilt the balance of power in this world. Something he and other dragons had noticed but wasn’t quite certain where it coming from, so he decided to commission a group of adventurers. One that he would assist and occasionally direct towards goals he determined was necessary.

The group came to the consensus that they would work with the dragon for now since it seemed there would be ample time to take care of their own interests as well as aid the dragon. Once the party let the dragon know their decision, he already knew as he informed the group his hearing was excellent, Silverfang decided to show the party his gratitude by allowing them to look over the scraps of his horde to equip themselves.

As Silverfang leaves the group to look over potential loot he leaves the main cavern for several minutes. When he returns he is carrying several cloaks. “If you are going to act the part of a company of adventurers you may as well look it as well”. He hands each of you a royal blue cloak with silver fox lining and edging. Each cloak has what appears to be a heavy silver clasp with a stylized dragon head designed into it. You all quickly recognize the outline of the dragon’s head is oddly similar to the benefactor of the group.

“These will keep you a little better protected. And, you look much better wearing them as well. You’re Welcome.”

Third Session

For the evening – everyone gains an inspiration point.

After being “escorted” out of the goblin silver mine by Tusk and Fang, Box’s two hobgoblin brutes the party quickly began planning what they were going to do once they returned to Vestia. It was decided they would tell MOST of the truth to Lord “Gray”, their mysterious employer leaving out the deal they had struck with Box. They also planned on returning the gold he had given to Violet, the druid and point person in the group.

Coming into Vestia, the party broke into three separate groups of two in case Gray had people watching the gates. Violet and Saffron headed directly across the Ice Bridge and made their way to the tavern to set up a meeting with Gray later that evening. Once setting up the meeting they headed to the Temple of Cathos to rendezvous with the rest.

The Paladin and fighter came across the sewage bridge and began searching for a wagon for the potential need of moving silver back and forth. After investigating (Kelsey rolled a 4 and Matthew rolled a 1 on their skill checks) they got lost, and spun around and ended up at an Undertakers shop who did happen to have a wagon for sale. A rather large one with three axles…and many stains. The female fighter quickly excused herself upon having the undertaker begin describing what was the cause of each of the varied stains and she politely turned him down. Continuing their search (more piss-poor rolls) they happened upon a second hand shop that had a rickshaw appearance. The shop keep only wanted 6 gold pieces for it but again, it wasn’t what they needed and was in poor condition. From there, they left to head to the Temple of Cathos to meet up with the other two.

The Sorcerer and the Cleric entered the city on a foot bridge and found themselves explaining why they had a silver goblin made short sword. The guard bought their story and recorded where they “encountered” the goblin and allowed them to enter. After finding a weaponsmith to sell it to ( Daniel – please make a note that it was 47 GP…again) they started exploring the city and found a potion shop which the Sorcerer decided to make a note of to return to in the future. At this point they too headed to the Temple.

The party meet up, got each up to date and prepared to meet with Lord Gray. Whilst meeting up, the dwarven cleric of Cathos talked to some of the brothers at the temple and got the details about the Grey Corridor and found out about rumors pertaining to non – Zalgozar undead roaming the countryside.

Second Session

Our brave team of adventurers had entered the caverns and tripped a trap wire which caused 4 flares to go off on the sides of the cave entrance and encountered 2 creatures which they could not see asking for a password. The dwarf offered a response of “my Warhammer” which caused the result of getting two darts launched at them. Other members of them team tried to intimidate or cajole the gatekeepers into letting them in which lead to a critical botch by the halfelven sorcerer. The guards responded by launching another 2 darts, one scoring a critical hit and nailed the human warrior right in the throat, dropping her immediately. The team recussed her whilst the dragonborne paladin carefully made his way up to the two spy holes and using his breath weapon blasted the wall, frightening the guards away from their post.

After that, the team followed the passage and found it split right after the secret guard post and decided to head down the passageway to the right. It was cramped, and forced the group to single file down a very sharp decline into another cavern room where they found four kobolds staring oddly at the two other kobolds that had just raced into the room, shivering from icy cold breath and standing as close as they could to the hearth. The human warrior, after letting the rest of the group know what she saw as she lead them down the passageway and fresh from her brutal neck wound charged into the group of four kobolds with her axe drawn…and completely missed them. The dwarf, next to move but third in line, pushed his way past the dragonborne and also charged into the group with the warrior and crushed one with his hammer. The paladin then moved and throwing his torch at the larger group, cornered the two by the fire and with his 6’6” frame easily scared them into botching both of their attacks on him. The druid, sorcerer, and bard all moved to the entrance and launched spells taking out another 2 kobolds.

The next round saw two more kobolds getting destroyed including one that had scurried through a passage on the far end of the room which lead to the sorcerer racing across the room and sidearming a fireball down the passage to nail the kobold in the back, blasting the life from it. This left a single kobold standing by the fire, intimidated by the paladin. The bard walked over to it and hit him with a powerful Charm spell.


The kobold, who was happy to tell everyone his name was Toad, was suddenly quite smitten with the lovely bard, and really wanted to take the group to go see the “Strong Boss” named Box. While the kobold wasn’t the brightest of creatures, his limited language skills and inability to count past 3, the group sussed out there were more than 3 rooms where silver was getting mined, that Box was the boss of the mine, and he had two “big ones” named Tusk and Fang. After about 30 minutes of conversation, they travelled through the small passage on the opposite side of the cavern that the entered from. Toad happily warned the group not to step on certain spots of the floor which would have released the “squeakies” – Giant Rats. They then passed through a room that was getting mined by a half dozen kobolds which was uneventful since Toad was leading them to Box.

Upon entering the room, the group excluding the dwarf who was guarding the rear, found that Box was a Goblin. An amazingly strong and well spoken goblin who had, with Tusk and Fang – two extremely muscular hobgoblins, taken over the cavern and set up the smithy. The adventurers, after getting berated by Box for killing off his workers, quickly decided to work out a deal with Box to move his silver for him and, in theory, cut out the original clients who had commissioned them scout the cavern for their purchase of it. The sorcerer also worked out a deal for buying a goblin masterwork silver shortsword, a decidedly wicked looking and brutally edged blade, and a plain silver dagger. Part of the deal was for the team to be the only people who knew about Box and “his” mine and the team would also need to get rid of Toad since he was now useless to the mine. As this deal was reached, the Charm spell wore off of Toad and he tried to attack the group. He was quickly subdued and then tried to get Box to keep him. The group couldn’t get Toad to cooperate and he broke away from them and ran to Box, who quickly decapitated the kobold, and reminded the group it was their part of the deal to take care of the kobold.


He then turned his back to them and went back to work. As they were leaving the cavern they found the dwarf shining his hammer and giving one of the kobolds a murderous look, the halfelven sorcerer back handed him and convinced him to leave and to prepare for the future.

And that was the night, the group having all leveled up to LEVEL 2.

Opening Night
First Session

The team came together after being approached by the scribe looking for a group of people to go out of Vestia and check out a cave that the scribe’s employers were looking to purchase. So, the next day the team, including a halfelven sorcerer, human bard, human fighter, dwarven cleric, dragonborne paladin, and the scribe who is a halfelven druid left Vestia under dreary skies that within an hour of walking opened up and poured down on the group for the rest of the day. It being a cold early spring day, the rain was not appreciated. As the team closed in on the caves, about 5 hours out from the city, they noticed small foot prints at the trailhead leading up to the caves.

As they continued the climb, the adventurers encountered heavier rain and the sun started setting, and with about an hour to go to the cave they found a rock outcropping where they camped for the night. In the middle of the night, during the second shift of the watch, the druid and fighter heard and caught glimpses of a group of kobolds, which made sense with the tracks the group had seen earlier at the trailhead. The adventurers held their breath and the group of kobolds passed by without incident.

The next morning, the rain slowly tapered off and the group continued on to the cave. They found the cave had been covered up a crudely built wooden wall and upon closer inspection by the fighter, she noticed more tracks in front of the wall but not going in and then peeking through the wall, saw some sort of light about 20 feet down the cave and around a bend to the right.

After a bit of discussion, the group easily lifted the wall that was just leaning against the cave entrance and slowly entered the cavern. Upon passing the bend to the right, the dwarven cleric and human fighter both triggered a trip line and light exploded in the passage.

And that’s where we ended the session.


I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.